Commissioners’ Conference Secretariat
SECRETARIAT ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The role of the Secretariat is to facilitate a more strategic and focused approach to the Conference and its outcomes, to improve information flow and continuity and to observe and promote the Conference protocols.
Its primary functions are to:
– provide advice and logistical support to the Conference host country
– initiate and coordinate the Conference program and papers in consultation with the host and member countries
– encourage and follow up the implementation of agreed Conference targets and action points with member countries
– facilitate ongoing networking, including through teleconferences and country reports
– act as a central point for information management and
– investigate future funding options
1.1 Follow-up with Pacific Public Service Commissions on the implementation of targets and actions following the previous Conference, as documented in the Conference Communiqué.
1.2 Develop and implement an action plan that supports countries in achieving the Conference targets and actions.
1.3 Follow-up any actions for the Secretariat agreed by countries at the previous Conference including providing support for any working groups established.
1.4 Establish an effective working relationship with the next Conference host country including clarifying the roles of the host and Secretariat.
1.5 Facilitate and coordinate Conference logistics in close liaison with the host country including:
– confirming and advising member countries of the Conference dates
– developing and confirming the Conference agenda in consultation with the host and member countries
– inviting, providing templates for, and collecting participating country reports
– inviting and collecting other Conference papers
– distributing the agenda and Conference papers to member countries electronically
– providing advice and support with coordinating the Conference logistics:
1.6 Facilitate and coordinate funding arrangements including:
– providing clear information to the host country as early as possible on costs that are funded by donors and costs that the host country will need to fund
– liaising with donor organizations on delegates’ travel arrangements, accommodation, meals, transit costs (meals and accommodation), and travel allowances
- At the Conference
2.1 Address the Conference on house-keeping matters.
2.2 Provide a summary on the progress of actions implemented by Pacific Public Service Commission’s over the period since the previous Conference.
2.3 Provide secretarial duties to the Conference including oversighting the minutes and the circulation of Conference papers and drafting the Conference Communiqué.
2.4 Facilitate the ‘way forward’ Conference session to draft the conference targets and actions and confirm the next conference host, theme and secretariat.
3.1 Provide a report on the Conference logistics, outcomes and delegates’ feedback.
3.2 Provide a final acquittal of the position (salary and administrative support) funding.
4.1 Record keeping
– Maintain an up to date list of key contacts in each country’s Public Service Commission and related organizations
– Maintain an up to date record of Conference proceedings and decisions.
4.2 Facilitate effective communication and liaison with and between Pacific Commissions and establish a regular communication pattern.
4.3 Facilitate use of the Pacific Village Online website for information sharing and ongoing communication between Pacific Public Service Commissions.
4.4 Maintain an up to date risk assessment to assist in predicting and managing potential problems.
4.5 Maintain ongoing liaison with donor organizations.
4.6 Prepare and submit a brief monthly progress report to the Director, PICPA, copied to the CEO of the host country’s Public Service Commission and the Australian Public Service Commission contact officer.
4.7 Other duties as directed by the Director, PICPA.
HOST COUNTRY ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The role of the host country is to manage the in-country logistical arrangements for the Conference and ensure that the resources and arrangements required for an efficient and effective meeting are all in place.
Its primary functions are to:
– organize the Conference venue and mange all the administrative and logistical arrangements
– coordinate with Conference program and speakers
– prepare and manage the Conference Budget
5.1 Forward the invitation and registration form to member countries.
5.2 Select and liaise with the Conference venue.
5.3 Select and book the accommodation for funded delegates.
5.4 Assume primary responsibility for and implement the Conference logistics in close liaison with the Secretariat (as documented in the Conference checklist).
5.5 Develop the Conference program (including agenda items and format as agreed in liaison with the Secretariat).
5.6 Invite speakers relevant to agenda items.
5.7 Allocate the meeting main Chairperson and session facilitators.
5.8 Develop and monitor the conference budget.
5.9 Provide information for the delegates including:
– visa requirements and arrival arrangements
– costs that are included and costs that they will need to fund.
5.10 Print and collate the country reports and other Conference papers.
- At the Conference
6.1 Provide staff to work with the Secretariat to record the meeting minutes and to manage the circulation of conference papers.
6.2 Coordinate all logistical requirements (as documented in the Conference checklist).
6.3 Provide a list of all the delegates, observers and speakers and their contact
7.1 Provide input to the Secretariat’s post-conference report on the logistics and outcomes.
7.2 Provide feedback on the role of the Secretariat.